Thursday, December 6, 2012

Moving in Obedience

This post is a bit lengthy but fully expresses the happening's in my heart. So if you would like to get a glimpse into my life as of now, continue on...

I have learned that sometimes the season you are in may not look like it relates to the next. Sometimes the place God has called you to isn't always easy but in the end it will be worth it. Sometime that place He calls you to is just for a season.


That is what this past season of my life has been. The season known as college. The friendships have made it worth it and the lessons learned have caused great growth but my time here is coming to a close. A few questions and some realizations led to God gently moving me into a new adventure.


Why would I spend my time doing things I am not passionate about? Why would I waste my time fulfilling others dreams for me when God has placed dreams in my own heart to fulfill?


College is one of those places God took me to that did not play out as expected. The more I was here, the less I felt like this would ultimately fulfill God's purpose for me. This semester was still a part of God's plan. It was simply a step of obedience for me.


Remember to be obedient. Obedience led me into this season but it also carries me out of it. Through a series of events (a love for high school science, inspiration through teachers, friends and family, and the sheer motivation to accomplish something great) I came to Ouachita Baptist University with the goal of getting my Biology degree, attending medical school, and using the education to travel on medical missions. They were great plans and motivated me throughout the semester. By the strength of God and the motivation to reach those goals I neared the end of the semester.


With many more lessons learned than what I could take away from sitting hours in a classroom, I had started to question my future at OBU. Was this for me? Is this what I really want? Will I be fulfilled in staying here? More and more the answer seemed like an obvious "no."


The decision to come here was clear. The leading from God was like a stamp in my heart. But each moment here was really preparing me for a later moment that could potentially change the course of my life... If I let it.


After encouragement from many people I made it to Thanksgiving break. I could not have imagined the turn of events that led to such a big decision over break. After pondering the passions inside my heart and the thoughts that so constantly filled me, I made a decision - one that was marked by excitement for new adventure, fear of disappointment from others, pain of leaving friendships that had so quickly formed, but most of all a trust in God who knows me and my heart better than I know myself. I made the decision to leave Ouachita Baptist University.


God knew my passions would not be fulfilled here. He knew this was a part of His plan, but not in the way that I thought. Even though I am not leaving with a degree, I am taking away lessons far more valuable than what any degree could give me. I set out to accomplish something great and I did just that. I was obedient to what God called me to then and I will continue to do that now.


I look back and see how all along God was teaching me and preparing me for this. Leaving is a hard decision. There is a security in college that is not necessarily there now. No, college isn't easy, but it provided a plan for the next 3-10 years (seeing that the plan was to go to medical school). 


My future is a wide open slate. God can take me wherever and whenever. He is reminding me of passions deep in my heart and truly calling me to a life surrendered to Him. It isn't always easy. It isn't always comfortable. But there is so much joy and excitement in this new season. Even though I don't have the security of college and a career that generally comes after that I am reminded that "the safest place is in the middle of God's will." That is where I want to be and that is where I want to stay. 


Coming to school at OBU was a God plan. My heart would not have been as moldable nor surrendered if I had not been obedient to follow God into this season. He showed me how desperately I need Him and continually drew me into His presence. He was preparing me for a new season of trust and an even fuller reliance on Him. He stirred the passions inside of me as I became burnt out with what seemed a mundane cycle of classes and is, I believe, pushing me into using my gifts and passions for Him even more fully. 


I am thankful for where God has taken me, where He has placed me now, and where He is going to take me and use me in the future. 


As I walk into this season, I remember that His ways are higher than my ways. He has placed dreams in all of our hearts and we need to continue to dream big. Ultimately continue seeking Him and walk forward full in the passions he has placed in you. As we walk forward in obedience to Him He will direct every step! 



"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs His steps."
Proverbs 16:9

2 comments:

  1. I was SO excited for you as you stepped into this season at Ouachita and I am just as excited (if not more) to see what all lies in store for you in the season ahead! Your obedience is thrilling because it allows God to do the most beautiful things in and through you. You are transitioning once again with grace and I love you so much. [End sappy rant.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me and believe in me and I am so blessed because of you! I love walking this journey with you by my side. Thank you for always being there... I am truly grateful. I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete