Thursday, February 28, 2013

Parenting From A Child's Perspective

Last night we were sitting at the table playing a game when my sister, Ashtyn, told us about a conversation she had with a couple for whom she babysits. They always ask about ways she was raised, how my parents handled certain situations, and other questions pertaining to parenting, raising children, etc. One of their questions went something like this...

What did your parents instill in you that caused you to have a personal relationship with God?

Good question, right?

Is that something you have ever thought about? Maybe. I had never given it much thought. "That's how we were raised," would be my cop out answer. But what does that mean?

Her questions inspired me to think about how I was raised, how I got to where I am now, and actually see what it is that my parents did that encouraged us, challenged us, and shaped us into the people we are now. 

It isn't as easy as "1, 2, 3" or "A, B, C" but they have done and continue to do their best. They share their wisdom and don't pretend to have all of the answers. They point us to God because they know we have to learn to hear His voice on our own. I think that is key. They recognize that as our parents they are here to care for us, love us, and ultimately train us in the way we should go (Proverbs 22:6). They want to prepare us for whatever God might have for us, for wherever He might take us. If we were their robots we wouldn't be prepared for the "real world"... Or, what is more important, we wouldn't have learned to listen and be obedient to God's voice. 

I remember times when one of us kids would disagree with the way they thought about something or what they believed would be best. Sometimes they would ask us to trust them and we would have to. (I think that was key in learning to trust God even when things didn't make sense to us. Trust in God has been crucial especially in the last year of my life and I definitely attribute how easy it has come to the way I was raised). Not all times did they respond that way. Sometimes they would tell us to seek God about it. They said they would do the same. Either our heart would change about the matter, or theirs would. Through that we learned to seek Him, and find Him, and ultimately listen to Him. 

When our parents encouraged us to go to God, they were encouraging a personal relationship with Him. It wasn't all about us doing what they said all the time. 

They also led by example. Like I said, when they asked us to seek God about something, they would do the same. That was a part of their life. When they needed direction, they searched for Him. When they didn't know what to do, they asked Him. They are obedient to God and it has paid off. 

My parents are very different but they compliment each other. They bring different insight and are exactly who and what we needed as we grew (and continue to grow) into who God wants us to be.

My relationship with God is real and personal. I love Him more than anything in this world. I desire nothing more than to be loved by Him, love Him more, and fulfill the purpose that He has for my life. That desire is because of the relationship I have with God but without the seed my parents planted and cultivated I would not be where I am now.

I'm sure if you were to talk to them they would tell you they didn't do everything right and that you probably won't either; not to make you feel inadequate but for when you do mess up that you know it's okay. 

They're not perfect. I'm not perfect. Neither are you. Or your children. By the mercy of God, though, we have access to unending grace and forgiveness that allows us to try again... all the time. If I could encourage you in any way, I would say to look at the example of Jesus and live like Him. When you mess up, because you will, apologize, ask for more grace, and keep going. This could only lead to you truly looking and living more like Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment